Saturday, August 30, 2014

Routine

the definition of routine is:
"a sequence of actions regularly followed; a fixed program."

I learned this at a an early age by performing routines.  Dance routines.  In order for those routines to be perfected, they were practiced.  Over and over.  Multiple hours a day were dedicated to perfect a routine that was satisfactory to both my dance teacher and drill team instructor. Even my fellow dance team members counted on me, as I did them, to equally work together to attain the best performance possible.  

Routine was introduced to me as a sequence of steps from beginning to end.  Once completed, we moved on to the next routine.  More difficult, more hours, but the discipline was the same.  As I got older, went to college, and entered life without forced discipline, it was solely up to me to continue a routine in order to achieve my personal best.  Sounds easy?  Not really.

We live in a world of instant gratification.  Some people believe it's this generation of young folks that have developed a lazy attitude of entitlement.  But it's not just the young generation.  It's THIS generation.  I was part of it, and have slowly began taking repetitive, baby steps on a daily basis.  Being a spontaneous person has it's advantages.  I'm open to change, adventure, and able to adapt to a new plan without hesitation.  I respect my husband's disciplined routine of waking early, reading his devotional, exercising, and heading to work.  Whistling and happy to do it every morning since I've known him.  (seriously, I have yet to see him NOT get up and repeat that sequence of actions for 6 years.)  "Morning Clay" is my favorite person in the world.  Because "Morning Whitney" is a dreadful person.

Back to my point.  I have recently found myself enjoying a routine that is not forced, rigid, or even difficult.  Just like a diet, when restricting yourself to follow a regimen developed from a person completely unlike yourself.  You will fail.  Well, from "their" expectations.  The only person that can set a successful routine is yourself.  My routine consists of this:

1. Getting out of bed by 8:00 in the morning
2. Spending time with the Lord.  whether it's prayer, reading a devotional my husband has sent me, or talking to a friend about the bountiful blessings he's bestowed on me.
3. SHOWING my husband (not just telling him) that I love him.  Respect him.  The way God has biblically defined my duties as a wife.
3. Talking (not texting) via phone or face-face to a friend or loved one
4. Physical action of some sort.  (notice I didn't say "exercising"...walking dogs, going to workout, but even somedays just taking out the trash to the curb).  Let's face it, there are days when even THAT is a chore

None of those things are ever in a particular order. (except getting out of bed.)  This is where I've decided to start.  Yes, it's a short list.  But it's the time, effort, and dedication to each of these daily PLEASURES....not duties, that have lifted my spirit and motivates me to take it to the next level.  Not because I have to.  But because I want to.  

I've just added a #5 as of today: to begin blogging, at least 3 days a week.  Because it fulfills me and fulfills yet another purpose in my life.  Isn't that what routine is all about?  Steps to execute our purpose in life.  we have to practice everyday to achieve it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home